Saturday, December 19, 2009

Too brazen

I feel ashamed for name dropping yesterday. I have deleted the post. I never know how to go about this blog...I am hesitant to write about my feelings or give too much information about myself, yet I want people to read it and to express myself freely. I feel that the information age has infiltrated our personal lives way too much -and we welcome it! It's like when Putin ran to the KGB. We are so intent on providing all of this information about ourselves that it kind of scares me. I think we are going to see some of the retributions later on. I don't know when and I don't know how, but I don't think it's very healthy. It encourage people to be egocentric, self congratulatory, and dependent. It also demotes personal achievement. Look what I did, look at me, look at how much better I am than you. Are we that self conscious?We are so eager to embrace mediocrity. Let us embrace our ordinary lives and celebrate them on the internet! At the same time, it is also encouraging. People are constantly traveling and on their way some where else. They are celebrating their ambitions. They are going somewhere, whether it be home or a new country or another school or a job. People are constantly moving, but are they? When they' re posting constantly on Facebook or Twitter? Are we stationary? On a larger level, Facebook has completely transcended Big Brother. People are so eager to give up information about themselves.

I am guilty of the same crime. Why should people read this blog or read this diatribe? I am just a curmudgeon who is self righteous and lofty.

At the same time, Facebook, blogs, and other social networking websites have made communication much more convenient. It's so nice to be able to talk to your friend whose halfway around the world. You can see what they are doing and what they are interested in without being there. It has also protected people from personal injury. You don't have to talk to that person you like in class. You can do it through Facebook, where you are less likely to embarrass yourself.

I realized how dependent I was on Facebook when I went back to China and realized that I couldn't contact any of my friends. A lot of families in China are just getting computers and its so interesting to see almost instantaneously how people are growing further and further apart. People used to live together and now they live further apart and can speak on the computer. Sometimes, even if they live next door they'll call or use IM instead of walking over. It's so fascinating to be able to observe this in my lifetime. I hope that in the future, people will have the same relationships that I've enjoyed, but I don't think they will.

So we'll see how this goes.

This has been a mess of a post. Sorry

No comments:

Post a Comment