Thursday, January 14, 2010

I do not support Bing.com

So this has been out since November, but I am just writing about it now, because I heard a podcast about it on Planet Money. Bing.com is thinking about paying newspapers for exclusive content. This means Bing.com will pay the Wallstreet Journal tons of money so that when you search for Walstreet Journal, you will have to go to Bing rather than Google. While this may be helpful towards failing newspapers, it is hardly enough money to save them and to maintain the quality of their content.

I think the whole idea sounds a bit illegal. Search engines do not create content, they aggregate content or they can access accent with more ease. So if Bing buys exclusive rights to the Wallstreet Journal, you'll have to go to Bing in order to find and search its content. If you want to find it on Google, tough luck, it won't be there. Which makes equal opportunity unequal. Bing wants to buy these exclusive rights because they feel that they cannot compete with the giant that is Google, but taking content from the world wide web doesn't seem right. So if I want to search on a topic like Flannery O'Connor and there is an article in the Wallstreet Journal, I will not know about if I search on Google. I'll have to do another search on Bing.

I think that information should be free and the whole idea of paying for content is preposterous to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment